Southgate Cinemas assistant manager sells tickets to wrong shows deliberately

Medford, Oregon 1 comment

When I bought a ticket yesterday at the Southgate Cinemas in Grants Pass, Oregon, I was sold a ticket to the wrong show on purpose.

After I paid the admission price, the assistant manager who sold me the ticket tore its stub off as he handed it to me at the box office window (which I thought was a little unusual at the time.)

It was a couple of hours in advance of the showing, and when I went back to the parking lot to leave, I looked at the ticket stub. It was for an entirely different movie than I requested.

Wow. It gets even better.

The apparently worthless ticket stub (as it turned out) was for a movie that had already started before I bought my ticket!

Wait until my husband hears about this one. He hates liars and cheats.

The scam for these two box office wonders, the assistant manager and his young white female accomplice (blackhaired, about 5'3"), is to sell advance tickets to shows already in progress, and hope people don't notice, so when they come back for a show they have to buy more tickets.

Then they pocket the money immediately, and get away with it because when the ushers do headcounts of earlier audiences, it all comes out even.

Got that fraud squad?

OK, so when I returned to the box office, the assistant manager (a black man) had conveniently disappeared. I had to explain the situation to his

partner-in-crime, and did she ever come up with some whoppers for him!

When I explained to her that I had bought a ticket not five minutes before for a movie to be shown in a couple of hours and that the ticket I bought wasn't for that movie at all but for an entirely different one already in progress, she could not have cared less.

Then the assistant manager came back into the boxoffice to play his part and acted all dumb about the whole thing. I had to explain again and again that I still wanted a ticket to the show.

I paid my money, and I wanted that ticket.

By now a sizable line had formed because both of them repeatedly refused to sell me a ticket I had already bought, so we were reaching an impasse.

With all those witnesses showing up in line, the fraudsters started to get nervous. How would they explain selling tickets for shows already showing to all those people when I was more than willing to let everyone within earshot know exactly what they were trying to pull off?

I never requested and didn't want a refund. I was there to see a movie. But the final result, at least at far as Southgate, was concerned was my money was refunded.

My question in this whole thing is: Why did they totally refuse to sell me a ticket for the show I wanted to see?

Southgate Cinemas. Don't ever go there, Grants Passers. Go to Movie Six instead.

I hope this is helpful to other people encountering this kind of ticket office scam at other movie theaters.

And the movie I'll travel over 60 miles roundtrip and spend some $20 to see, including gas and an additional ticket for a traveling companion some other weekend, if ever?

Swing Vote.

Onemight say, "Oh, why didn't you just use the ticket for Star Wars they sold you in the first place?" Because the ticket stub was torn off by the assistant manager at the Southgate Cinemas at the boxoffice.

I wouldn't have been able to use it anytime, and was just lucky in this case to even a refund.

Case closed.

Review about: Wrong Show Ticket.

Comments

Sooo...if the cashier sold a ticket that printed directly from the computer system it wouldn't benefit him at all because management/owners would know the ticket was sold; if he pocketed your money the cash drawer would be short.

How is this a scam? The reason you got a refund is that just about every theatre can refund you even if you have a torn ticket stub from an earlier show, especially when you start freaking out on them. Is it possible that the cashier thought you were going to see the current show and not a later show and just made a mistake?

Also -- do you really think ushers are doing headcounts?